Author Topic: Rats, Delphi pumps and ATF.  (Read 2878 times)

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
Rats, Delphi pumps and ATF.
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:06:22 PM »
Our rat problem continues and this Winter its been worse than previous years. I think the reason is there have been no cats around. Next doors cat that has been around for 3 years went missing in Sept and as a result this has tipped the situation in favour of the rats.

So, the Rexton and Dispatch have both been 'done' 3 times this Winter, last time as well as the by-pass lines on the Rexton they ate half of the primer bulb away as well. Went to start the big Ransomes Mower last week and there were no by-pass lines left on it!

However I think I have solved the problem with Rats on the engines. At a few places on the top of the engine I have fixed little balls of cotton wool soaked with peppermint oil which rats hate. All is OK so far (fingers crossed)

Whilst fixing the pipes on the Dispatch I noticed another bio leak going down the rear of the sump, a strange place as no lines are anywhere near it. On further inspection the leak was from the main pump seal and bio was running down the inside of the cambelt cover and dripping down the back of the sump.

The pump was sent to have a new seal with a company that has been mentioned on this and the vod forum. It duly came back and was re fitted. After a couple of weeks I checked the underside of the van and the pump was still leaking. It wasn't as bad as previous but still leaking. I phoned up the company and was told the pump bearing must have gone between re fitting it and me finding the leak again, or the return line had a partial blockage making the pump over pressurise.

I didn't really accept either of these explanations and suggested if there was no obvious reason the job should be re-done foc. The guy (sorry can't mention his name on the forum) reluctantly said ok and it was left for me to contact him when I could take it over (220 mile ret journey) must say his attitude was a bit 'off' considering the reputation he seems to have.

I googled to see if there were any fuel additives that would swell seals that I could add to the fuel as a quick fix and yes there are. One is manufactured in the USA but I couldn't find it here in the uk. However several forums had reports of people using ATF. I did a little test to see if the ATF is miscible with bio and it was. So with nothing to loose I added 125mls of ATF to 10litres of bio and added it to the tank contents which were approx another 10 litres.

I did a little journey of about 35 miles to pick up some oil and when i returned I checked under the engine and the leak had stopped. That was 2 months ago and every other top up I still add the ATF and all is well.  Someone told me that they had a friend who had done the same thing. After 18 months and still OK he thought he had better get the repair done properly with a new seal. I won't be doing that, if it leaks again it will be an auction job!

I wish I had gone with the ATF in the 1st place instead of wasting my money!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:34:55 PM by dgs »
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
Re: Rats, Delphi pumps and ATF.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:47:31 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder whether the ATF affects the life of the seal?  But then gearboxes must also have seals (different type?).

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder whether the ATF affects the life of the seal?  But then gearboxes must also have seals (different type?).

Since doing this I've mentioned it to quite a few mechanics. Most arn't surprised by the outcome and one of them says he has added it to engine oil to swell oil seals and it has also worked for that too.

Offline Chug

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:24:00 PM »
great stuff atf aint it, also good for cleaning out combustion crap, and allegedly mixed with acetone it makes the best penetrating oil.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »

Since doing this I've mentioned it to quite a few mechanics. Most arn't surprised by the outcome and one of them says he has added it to engine oil to swell oil seals and it has also worked for that too.

Wonder if that would work for the notorious Mercedes OM642 oil cooler oil leak?  It's just a really-hard-to-access set of o rings and a common point of failure.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:58:17 PM by Tony »

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »
Don't know Tony, someone needs to try it. I must say I am amazed how well the ATF has worked. Also no Rat damage since I have used the peppermint oil. I've now parked the Rexton and Van in the usual place and for added security there is a long garden cane under each vehicle with blue roll soaked in peppermint oil attatched every 3 feet.

That'll teach the little buggars.

I can get very nasty with a bottle of peppermint oil in my hand!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:55:43 PM by dgs »

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:03:21 PM »
Just thought I would give an update on this.

The rat situation seems to have resolved itself during the Summer, I can even leave cubies outside without the corners getting nibbled.

I must say I'm ready for the onslaught of the little buggars again as the temps fall.

I've disposed of the dispatch van, never got the pump seal done, just kept adding about 150mls of ATF per cubie of bio. Did this for the last 8 months or so and no leaks. As Chug said what brilliant stuff ATF is!

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
Here they are keen enough to nibble through the sides of those 25l containers you get at the car wash, the spiral-steel reinforced semi-flexible hoses and even 22mm Hep2o.  At least, they used to.  Three cats = no problem!

There has been a surge in rat numbers recently though, as they've been catching a fair few.