Author Topic: Rover 75 CDi 2.0 BMW M47R engine on 100BD? Anyone have long term experience?  (Read 4611 times)

Offline neisel

• Valve head
Keeping an eye out for a new car & am looking into the Rover 75 which come with a 2 litre BMW R47R engine.

These cars are cheap to buy, well put together, have lovely old world interiors & powerful & economical BMW engines. I quite like the retro styling.

Looking through the Rover forums I'm astounded at the level of ignorance on the topic of 'will it run on BD'?

The forum's armchair experts predict engine, pump, tank pump, seal, injector & a few other failures if any BD should enter the tank. This prediction of trouble is repeated at length, often & authoritatively while at the same time v. many of them, often the loudest & most frequent posters, clearly do not know the first thing about BD, indeed not even the difference between WVO, SVO & BD!

So, while I'm familiar with our mantra that anything will run on well made BD, has anybody here actually owned & run a Rover 75 on BD100 long term?

If yes, I'd be grateful if you'd tell me about your experience, any precautions it'd be wise to take & any problems you encountered.

Thanks!

Offline Chug

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
yes classic forum answer to anything biofuel,

Graham Laming of GL processor fame had a rover 75 and Bobblake did too IIRC, a few on the other channel have run em on bio no prob have a search over there.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
One popped up near me with half the miles on it that my Volvo has, so I'm quite interest in the answer to that too.  Got a towbar and great towing capacity than the Volvo so would suit us.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142651570742

Offline photoman290

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
i have thought of getting one but so used to  bmw's and rear wheel drive. i would like a rear wheel drive manual one buit have yet to see one for sale.

Offline neisel

• Valve head
I'm more interested in the Tourer than the saloon for no other reason than I prefer the look of it. I think it has aged better than the saloon & looks classier than it's cost.

I'd like to know if there are any advantages of manual over auto & whether I can DIY service it properly myself.

There's also an MG version of this (I believe) but it looks a bit too barry boy for my tastes. Does anyone have any BD100 experience of this engine in another car?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:11:54 PM by neisel »

Offline Manfred

• Impeller jammer
An interesting read on Rover 75 I found as I was thinking about one myself.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75282

To upgrade the intank fuel pump as they're not that strong.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/mg-zt-rover-75-sponsored-rimmer-bros-90/how-fit-peugeot-fuel-pump-75-a-226030/

If I remember right on the manual gearbox the slave cylinder is a gearbox out job so is recommended to be done while changing the clutch. I would go auto myself.

Gaz.

Offline neisel

• Valve head
That buyers guide ^^^ is very good, too good in fact. There's so much detail it's taking me a while to wade through it & on several points I'm still in the dark. I almost wish it just said 'buy this year with this engine & this gearbox that's had this done to it & you can't go wrong'!

Does anyone know the difference between a CDi & a CDTi engine.

Offline Manfred

• Impeller jammer
The Cdt is 115Bhp the cdti is 130 Bhp if that's what you mean. I read somewhere though that this isn't always correct as they're exactly the same, you only have to reprogram the ECU to up the Bhp. Any garage can do it if asked.

Read post 19 of the guide.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:08:19 PM by Manfred »

Offline neisel

• Valve head
Anyone bought one yet?

Offline neisel

• Valve head
I have had it for 1 year and put 9k miles on it with B100 with no issues.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/showthread.php?tid=44061