Author Topic: Is this Possible?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:25:10 PM by dgs »
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
Re: Is this Possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »
Can't remember where I heard it ... it may well have been concerning marine engines (the big, house sized ones), but I've vague recollections of hearing that an engine could only be filled with oil once.  I know big ships have some serious centrifuges and filtering system for lub. oil, so I guess with progress in lubrication technology, perhaps oils developed specifically for the duty, it may be possible.

In this case, given the minimal kit pictured in the advert, I'd venture the answer to your question is most likely no.
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline knighty

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 11:23:27 PM »
it's been talked about here before... peroly.. poorol.. paralo... perolysis ?

or cracking ?

put the oil in a container, flush the air out, heat it to 400'c (or something like that) and it turns to gas... cool the gas off and you get different stuff out, a good chunk of it is diesel

a bit like distilling water, but instead of getting water at the end you get petrol/diesel/paraffin/wax/gas

it's a long time since I looked at it, I probably missed some bits, I think Arash looked at it too?

Offline photoman290

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »
a bit light on detail like running costs. then there is the ea to think of as well. think a licence to carry wmo is 20 grand. thats a lot of diesel.

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:32 PM »
Didn't realise it was a pyrolysis thingy. More a centrifuge or similar which is why I thought the colour of the oil was too good to be true. (could even compare with yours, Bob)
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.