Author Topic: Linking Warnqvist dropout to glyceride distribution of biodiesel  (Read 7640 times)

Offline Drum

• Barrel scraper
Re: Linking Warnqvist dropout to glyceride distribution of biodiesel
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »
Over the years I've heard several people claim that discoloration without dropout is caused by glycerides, but no one can say definitively where this information came from........

..... Any additional info in this area would be most interesting.

Julian - I have had it confirmed by a chemist's opinion also that there will be some solubility in the mono and diglycerides but as outlined below and as you indicate yourself, there does not seem to be any real difinitive evidence. Perhaps becasuse of the complexity Tony alluded to in the length and distribution of fatty acid tails and the unlikely existance of a one-size fits all rule for. The length of tails and the degree of saturation/unsaturation will impact but precisely how is the $64m question.....

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
Someone once said that the process mixing can be too efficient (vigorous)
I have found that since I have changed to powerful pumps and eductors there is glycerol in suspension with the bio. I assume because of the mixing on a molecular level. So much so that it is impossible to do an accurate soap test because of all the glycerol in suspension.

I am not concerned about this as de-mething/water washing removes it.

On the mono's/ di's subject, if indeed most of the di's are detectable from the 10/90 test then most can be removed by having a clear pass. As I have found when vigorously water washing the mono's can also be removed.

The more we know about biodiesel production, the more questions there are to answer.
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline Drum

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 11:04:12 PM »

The more we know about biodiesel production, the more questions there are to answer.

Yes Dave, that is the nature of science and is what makes it all the more intriguing.

Offline Drum

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 11:22:46 PM »
Hi folks, I was lucky enough to be able to do a little bit of promotion for the forum. When I first produced the results I sent them to Jan Warnqvist himself. Jan very kindly read my description of the basis for how the model works. He was positive and complimentary of the model but was able to point out the difficulties that will exist in getting data on the solubility of diglycerides and monoglycerides in methanol, even for any specific oil, let alone a range of oils or mixtures of feedstock oils. However it is certainly not impossible, it just appears there is no specific research/data published to answer this question at present. I have had some useful feedback from Jan recently and he has just posted a link to this thread/forum on the LinkedIn professional network.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
Hi Drum, you've prompted us to create a LinkedIn group for biopowered, https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=8304445 - though really I confess to knowing little about LinkedIn and whether this is advantageous in any way!

Offline Drum

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
Tony,

I cannot see LinkedIn doing the forum any harm whatsoever, even if it does no perceivable good. The advantage I saw in what Jan is doing is associating his name, which as we all know is well respected in biodiesel circles, with the biopowered forum and what I hope is that people will visit the forum to read the thread, because he linked directly to the forum, and stay as a result. I will certainly join your group on LinkedIn but I agree that the preference would be to draw people from LinkedIn to here. But the group on LinkedIn will do no harm in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:09:52 PM by Drum »