Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Scruff Bag

• Barrel scraper
Hello
« on: October 24, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »
Hello All.

Joined a few days ago and thought I'd pop on and say howdo.

Have done a lot of reading of articles on these subjects and god is there a lot to learn!

Anyhoo, looking forward to getting stuck in, bit by bit.

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:48:35 PM »
Hi Scruffers, Been watching your posts with interest on VOD. Welcome to the forum. Did you buy a processor in the end or have you decided to make one.
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline Scruff Bag

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:02:08 AM »
Hello dgs. Thanks for the welcome.

greenchef got in touch with me via pm and very graciously offered to give me a set up he no longer uses. I must say it is an incredibly kind offer, one I am very grateful for. We had a really good chat earlier today and I learned a lot of really useful pointers. Sounds daft, but when I read or hear of little tips, I write them down in a folder for quick reference and what it relates to.

I've also managed to acquire my first one-off stockpile of 10 x 20lts cubies of filtered WVO that I was lucky enough to find locally for 15p a litre, that has spent the past week and a bit in one of my two outbuildings settling further. My area in Lincoln is somewhat a country area so whenever I pass through a place I make a point of popping into the local cafes/takeaways etc asking if they have any oil to sell/give away - get those connections established early!

Other than that I've been slowly prepping my outbuildings (1.5m x 1.5m and 1.5m x 2m - not including a roofed canopy connecting the two) to get it ready. The smaller building will probably used to store chems and stuff. Nothing fancy, just a good gut and sweep out, white washed walls to better bounce light around, changed the internal lights from standard bulbs to LEDs jobbies. Got a 20kg powder fire extinguisher positioned just inside doorway. Might have to drill some holes through the brick to make a vent, though not sure yet if that'll be needed as the wooden door itself has a vent at the top.

Tempted to also tarp my back garden and gravel it flat so I can plonk a decent sized shed on it - still pondering that one though.

There is one consistent area that I've always rememebered and thats people having rat problems due to oil drips. Hopefully I won't get that problem as my part of the estate has a couple of stray cats that like to live on the other side of my rear garden fence. Perfect killing machines!

Other than that, looking forward to making bio. Slow and steady wins the race.

Offline Dickjotec

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
Hi, welcome "over hear". Sounds like you are getting well prepared. I would suggest keeping the chemicals in a locked cupboard so no one can easily access them. Ventilation is most important when processing. As I am sure you know meth fumes are nasty, my processor, and settling tank, are outside under a roof so there is a through draft, the vent is also well away from it.
Bio since 2007  running Delica and Octavia

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:23:56 AM »
Hi Scruff Bag, welcome to biopowered ... lots of good info on the wiki if you're starting a processor build.

Best advice I can give is don't skimp on the pump, get a nice big one from the getgo.
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
Sound as though you are getting well organised Scruffbag. The rats can be a big problem. We live on a farm (not a working one) but there are still rats around. We keep geese as pets so there is left over corn to attract them. For some reason this Autumn has been the worst I've known for rat holed cubies. I've found about 50 already! mostly empty thank goodness.

They get their teeth into them via the little fold in the bottom of the cubie, but the thicker ones seem to be proof to them (he said optimistically)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:04:50 PM by dgs »

Offline Scruff Bag

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »
Geese?

Vicious things!

Not sure if I've read that right, but do you use your geese to keep rats away?

How did you store your cubies? Ground level or raised slightly?

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:46:53 PM »
Our geese are quite mild little things, we don't have them to discourage the rats. Charlie often comes on my lap for a cuddle and goes to sleep, she likes me holding her beak in my hand. We have 16 in total. Anyway, back to the bio discussion;

I don't keep oil in cubies as a permanent thing, but if I forget and leave them on the ground I can guarantee they will be weeping in the morning (and so will I ) I keep my bio in cubies outside to let the sun bleach it, even this time of year it turns a very light colour. These cubies are left on top of an IBC or a table so there isn't any rat damage.

They can smell what is inside the cubie, so they even go for glycerol if they feel the urge, but a cubie of petrol or misfuel is safe at ground level.

Offline Scruff Bag

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »
Do you not have issues with the sun degrading the cubie, or are they not exposed long enough?

Bleaching? Hmm, need to look into that.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 12:56:22 AM »
Do you not have issues with the sun degrading the cubie, or are they not exposed long enough?

Funny you should mention that ... just last week I picked up a cubie which simply disintegrated.  Luckily it was empty.

First time I've had that happen in almost 11 years of collecting wvo.
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »

http://www.biopowered.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2623.0.html

The cubies take about 2 years to go brittle. I have also lifted one by the handle which has come off in my hand.